Keeping your kittens and cats entertained can be quite exciting, but also really challenging. Luckily there are a few toys designed to keep them out of trouble (at least for a while).
If you are looking for the best toy for your cat there are a few options. We have selected our three best and will give you a review of each of these. So let’s take a look at what is on offer.
The Creaker 3 way cat tunnel: Playtime for kittens
Our first contender is the Creaker three way cat tunnel. It is a t-shaped multi-functional playpark for your cat. This tunnel has a t-shaped design that gives a variety of options for your pet to explore.
It has crinkle cracker paper for a little extra sensory excitement and the fabric is tear resistant. The frame is made from light sprung steel. This tunnel is foldable and collapsible so it can store easily. There is a soft toy on a string included.
- It has a T-shaped design
- It has crinkle cracker paper for sensory engagement
- It is made with tear resistant polyester material
- The frame is sprung steel
- The ends have extra protective parts
- It is collapsible with a foldable design and portable
- It has a soft toy included
- Weight: 8.8 ounces (250g)
- The tunnel makes a crinkling sound
- It’s very easy to clean
- The fabric doesn’t retain dirt or grime and is durable
- The three different paths create variety
- It is large enough for bigger cats
- It is a nice hiding place for shy cats
- It can be used indoors or outdoors
- It is short
- The added toy is not durable
- Cats easily bite through the string that holds the toy
- The structure can collapse
- A big cat won’t be able to turn around inside
- It needs more weight to anchor it
This play tunnel is a great option for different animals. It is large enough for bigger cats. Some cats might just not be impressed if they don’t like dark places. However, if they do like it, this tunnel is great.
The crinkle noise adds to the interactive stimulation. It is foldable and portable. The added toy is nice but won’t last long.
The Catit Design senses play circuit: Mental and physical development
Next up we have the Catit Design senses play circuit. It is an interchangeable set of elements that each targets a different sensory experience. The value bundle includes three separate components.
It has a food maze, a massager and a speed circuit. The speed circuit is a track with a ball that your cat can manipulate. The food maze offers a place for treats and gives your cat a puzzle.
The massager offers different surfaces. It is made from durable plastic and comes with a limited warranty.
- It is designed for your cat’s senses
- The food maze helps to prevent overfeeding
- It can provide challenges to test your cat’s abilities
- It has cut outs in the sides for a maze puzzle
- The parts can be used alone or interconnected
- It comes with a limited warranty
- Weight: 6 pounds (2.72kg)
- Dimensions: 10 x 18.5 x 13 in (25.4 x 46.9 x 33 cm)
- It does not need batteries
- The plastic is lightweight but durable
- You don’t need to start the game, your cats can start playing on their own
- Some cats even enjoy the circuit as a place to sleep
- The food maze limits overfeeding
- You can configure the speed circuit in different ways
- It is reasonably priced
- The speed circuit doesn’t work well with more than one ball
- The ball can get easily get stuck
- The rubber feet on the bottom easily become detached
- The track can get debris stuck inside
- It is too tight for the paws of bigger cats
- The food maze feeder is small and not weighted
This combination of toys comes with a range of positives. Let’s start with the food maze. If your cat has started to put on extra pounds, this can help your cat get in shape. The food maze provides a mental activity but also prevents cats from overeating. It is sturdy (but lightweight).
The speed circuit is great for kittens or adult cats that enjoy games. It offers variety and can be adapted to keep things interesting.
On the negative side, some larger cats seem to have trouble getting their paws in the speed circuit and food maze. The rubber feet that keep the circuit on the floor can become detached.
The Snuggly cat ripple rug: More than just a mat
When it comes to one of the best cat toys that you can buy the Snuggly Cat ripple rug is a unique choice. This versatile cat toy is a basic activity mat with a twist (or two).
It is a multifunctional toy that will give your cat interactive playtime. The mat has a range of different configuration options and you can hide toys and treats inside. It is made from recycled plastic bottles and it is non-toxic.
The touch points for the ripple add-on allows for easy release and reattachment. It provides something for your cat to scratch as well.
- It is a multifunctional toy
- It has many configuration options
- You can hide toys and treats inside
- The base can function as a bed
- It is made from recycled plastic bottles
- It is non-toxic and has safety slits
- It is thermally insulated
- The touch points allow for a simple release and reconfiguration
- It has a non-slip rubber bottom
- It’s portable
- It has a replacement warranty
- Weight: 3.6 pounds (1.63kg)
- Dimensions: 47 x 35 x 0.5 in (119 x 88.9 x 1.27 cm)
- You can easily change the configuration
- It is a high quality product and it is very durable
- It doubles up as a bed
- The bond on the touch points was tested and is very safe
- It is mold, mildew and stain resistant and can be scratched
- It can easily accommodate two cats
- It’s easy to store
- You can add scratch posts to make it more interesting
- It is only available in beige
- It is a bit expensive
- The top piece can become limp over time and lose its stiffness and shape
- Some cats may get bored with it
- It won’t work well for very large (20 pound or 9kg) cats
To our human eyes this might look like a basic rug with a few lumps on it, but to cats it creates a place of exploration and interaction. It is well-made and easy to keep clean.
It creates a place for your cat to hide, take a nap and practice stalking. You can adapt it if your cat gets used to one configuration. It holds up well to scratching and kittens especially enjoy the exploration.
Unfortunately, it is only available in one color. It is a bit expensive but it is well made. It won’t work well with larger cats. The top layer loses its stiffness over time.
The final verdict
The best cat toys really depend on what your cat enjoys. We can recommend the Creaker tunnel. It is durable, easy to store and clean and offers variety for curious felines. This is for kittens and cats that like to explore.
The Catit play circuit is a well-made durable toy that offers a range of interactive options. It offers variety and has the added benefit of offering puzzles.
But, the ripple rug is also a clever design that offers a range of different configurations to keep your cat interested. If your cats do not enjoy climbing into tunnels it will probably not thrill them.
It is especially great for energetic kittens. It is a great toy and one of the best available.